Applications for our internship programme are now closed. Our next opening for applications will be for our winter internship 2023. Please check back nearer the end of this year for the deadlines and dates of this scheme.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME DATES
Summer: 3rd July to 29th September 2023
Application Deadline: 26th Feb 2023 at 23:59 (now closed)
- You will be assisting a qualified lawyer and or caseworker volunteers on the matters that come into the Law Corner.
- You will be with the Law Corner for around 2 to 3 months.
- Tasks could include client interviewing, legal research, drafting, and case management.
- We also have occasional gatherings to explore and discuss ideas around deeper questions that relate to the legal profession. For example, how to improve the current lack of access to legal assistance and the role of collective efforts in responding to injustices around us.
- As matters can come into the Law Corner at any time, the working hours can be quite variable. On average, we expect around 3-5 hours per week, but this can be more or less depending on your caseload and the volunteers you are assisting.
- The majority of your work will take place remotely, but there will be occasional meetings and gatherings at the Living Centre where the Law Corner is based.
- Previous interns have been able to manage this internship around other work / commitments.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- GDL graduates; Law students in their second year or above.
- Proactive and eager to learn
- Can manage their time efficiently
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Friendly, approachable and good interpersonal skills
- Shares our vision and is intrinsically motivated
Q: Is there an interview process?
A: If you have been successful, we will invite you to a short interview with the coordinating team after the application deadline. This will most likely take place on Zoom.
Q: Am I able to complete the 50-hour pro bono requirement for the New York bar exam with the Law Corner?
A: Unfortunately, the nature of our work experience and internship programmes mean that we are not able to guarantee that you would meet the 50 hours required for qualification. Therefore, this type of pro bono experience is not something that we can currently offer.
Q: Do you consider applications on a rolling basis?
A: No. We will review all the applications once the deadline has passed.
Q: How long will it take to hear back on whether my application has been successful or not?
A: We will aim to let you know whether or not you have been successful with your application within a week after the deadline has passed. However, this may take longer depending on the team’s availability and the number of applications we receive.
Q: Who can I contact if I have any questions about the application process or the programmes?
A: Please email our junior coordinator, Cesca Meikle, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she would be more than happy to answer any of your queries.